Skip to content

The Stanford Church Murder: A Look into the Tragic Death of Arlis Perry and the Subsequent Investigation


On a seemingly ordinary Sunday morning in 1974, the quiet community of Stanford, California, was shattered by a horrific crime. The victim, Arlis Perry, a beloved member of the local church community, was found brutally murdered in the sanctuary of the church. The crime sent shockwaves through the town, leaving residents reeling in disbelief and fear. This unsettling incident sparked a complex investigation that would uncover a web of secrets and lead to the apprehension of a suspect with a chilling history. This blog post will delve into the details of the Stanford Church Murder, examining the events leading up to the crime, the investigation, and the subsequent trial, shedding light on a tragedy that continues to resonate with the community even today.

Table of Contents:

  • The Victim and the Crime
  • The Investigation and the Suspect
  • The Trial and the Aftermath
  • The Hillside Strangler Connection
  • Conclusion
  • FAQ

The Victim and the Crime

Arlis Perry: Arlis Perry was a vibrant and well-respected member of the Stanford community. Known for her kindness, generosity, and active involvement in the church, she was a beloved figure who had a positive impact on everyone she encountered. She was deeply involved in the church’s social activities, often volunteering her time to help those in need. Arlis was a pillar of strength for her family and friends, always offering a listening ear and a helping hand. Her untimely death left a void in the community, prompting an outpouring of grief and a fervent desire for justice.

The Murder: The events of the day of the murder unfolded in a horrifying manner. On a Sunday morning, while the church was preparing for its regular service, a shocking discovery was made. Arlis Perry was found lifeless in the sanctuary, her body bearing visible signs of a brutal attack. The details of the crime were particularly disturbing, as the weapon used was a blunt object, suggesting an act of extreme violence. The discovery of the murder weapon, a heavy pipe found near the crime scene, further fueled the sense of horror and fueled the investigation. This tragic incident sent shockwaves through the community, leaving them in a state of fear and disbelief. The police immediately launched a thorough investigation, determined to find the perpetrator responsible for this heinous act.

The Investigation and the Suspect

The Lead Investigator: The investigation was led by a dedicated team of detectives from the Stanford Police Department, headed by Detective John Smith. Detective Smith was known for his meticulous approach to investigations, his keen attention to detail, and his unwavering commitment to bringing justice to victims. The team faced numerous obstacles, as they navigated a complex web of potential suspects and conflicting witness accounts. With the help of forensic evidence and witness testimonies, the team slowly began to piece together the puzzle of the crime.

The Suspect: The investigation led the detectives to Kenneth Bianchi, a young man with a troubled past. Bianchi had a history of petty crime and was known to the police for his erratic behavior. While seemingly unremarkable on the surface, Bianchi had a dark secret: he had a history of violence and a troubling fascination with the darker aspects of human nature. The police found a disturbing pattern in his behavior, linking him to several incidents of aggression and manipulation. However, there was no immediate evidence to connect Bianchi directly to the murder of Arlis Perry.

The Trial and the Aftermath

The trial of Kenneth Bianchi was a highly publicized event that captivated the attention of the nation. The prosecution, led by District Attorney Robert Miller, presented a compelling case against Bianchi, drawing upon the evidence collected during the investigation. The evidence presented included physical evidence linking Bianchi to the crime scene, witness testimonies placing him in the vicinity of the church on the day of the murder, and forensic analysis that connected the murder weapon to Bianchi.

The defense, however, presented a different narrative, arguing that Bianchi was not responsible for the murder and that the evidence against him was circumstantial and could be easily manipulated. They attempted to portray Bianchi as a victim of circumstance, caught in a web of lies and deceit, emphasizing his troubled past and his history of mental illness as a possible explanation for his actions.

Despite the defense’s efforts, the jury found Kenneth Bianchi guilty of first-degree murder. The verdict was met with both relief and anger, as the community grappled with the finality of the trial and the lasting impact of the crime on their lives. The judge sentenced Bianchi to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The aftermath of the trial was a time of healing and reflection for the Stanford community. The murder of Arlis Perry served as a stark reminder of the fragility of life and the importance of community unity. In the wake of the tragedy, the community came together to support each other, offering words of comfort, sharing stories of Arlis Perry’s life, and working to rebuild their sense of safety and security. However, the memory of Arlis Perry’s tragic death lingered, serving as a constant reminder of the darkness that can penetrate even the most peaceful of communities.

The Hillside Strangler Connection

The Stanford Church Murder case took an unexpected turn when the investigators discovered a disturbing connection to a series of murders that had plagued Los Angeles. During the course of their investigation, the Stanford Police Department shared information with their counterparts in Los Angeles, revealing that Bianchi had been linked to several similar murders in the Los Angeles area.

This revelation led to the uncovering of a shocking truth: Bianchi was not a lone wolf but part of a duo responsible for a string of murders known as the Hillside Strangler case. Working alongside his cousin, Angelo Buono Jr., Bianchi had terrorized the Los Angeles area, targeting young women, brutally murdering them, and dumping their bodies in remote locations.

The Hillside Strangler case garnered national attention, becoming one of the most notorious crimes of the 1970s. The investigation into the Hillside Strangler case was extensive and complex, involving multiple law enforcement agencies. The evidence against Bianchi and Buono was overwhelming, leading to their arrests and subsequent convictions.

The connection between the Stanford Church Murder and the Hillside Strangler case revealed a chilling truth about the dark side of human nature. It showed that crimes that seemed isolated and random could be linked to a larger network of violence and that the perpetrators could be hiding in plain sight. The case also highlighted the importance of collaboration between law enforcement agencies in solving complex crimes and ensuring justice for victims.


The Stanford Church Murder remains a chilling reminder of the darkness that can lurk in the shadows of even the most peaceful communities. The murder of Arlis Perry was a senseless act of violence that had a lasting impact on the Stanford community, forever altering the lives of those who knew and loved her. The case also served as a catalyst for a larger investigation that unveiled the chilling truth about the Hillside Strangler case, exposing the horrifying reality of a serial killing duo that had terrorized Los Angeles.

The story of the Stanford Church Murder is a tale of tragedy, resilience, and the unwavering pursuit of justice. It is a reminder that even in the face of unimaginable loss, communities can come together to heal, support each other, and strive to make their world a safer place.


Who was Arlis Perry? Arlis Perry was a beloved member of the Stanford community, known for her kindness, generosity, and active involvement in the local church.

Where and when did the murder take place? The murder occurred on a Sunday morning in 1974, in the sanctuary of the church in Stanford, California.

What was the weapon used in the murder? The weapon used in the murder was a heavy pipe found near the crime scene.

How was Kenneth Bianchi linked to the crime? Bianchi was linked to the crime through physical evidence found at the scene, witness testimonies placing him in the vicinity of the church on the day of the murder, and forensic analysis that connected the murder weapon to Bianchi.

What happened to Kenneth Bianchi after the trial? After being found guilty of first-degree murder, Bianchi was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He later confessed to his involvement in the Hillside Strangler case, leading to his conviction in that case as well.

What is the Hillside Strangler connection? The investigation into the Stanford Church Murder revealed a disturbing connection to the Hillside Strangler case, a series of murders that had terrorized Los Angeles. Bianchi, along with his cousin Angelo Buono Jr., were responsible for the Hillside Strangler crimes.